Tranductor

Aug 3, 2021

Grand Opening Tomorrow

 This feels good! That was what I was thinking as the rain began falling here in Madre Vieja a few minutes ago, washing away the debilitating heat of the day. But, I was also thinking about the work we've done over the past few days. Part of it is that it feels good to create this center for the community and for the children. As the place has taken shape over the past few days, looking more and more like a place for children, lots of parents and children have been stopping by, curious about what we're doing. And when we explain that we are building a space for children to come and read, take books home, play board games, do their homework, do art activities, etc. they invariably ask, "¿Cuánto cuesta?", wanting to know how much we charge. And then when we respond, "Nada. Es completemente gratis" we get lots of nods, in my mind anyways signifying, "Alright then. Now we're talking."  Obviously we're not doing this to feel good about ourselves, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that that's how I feel.

And it feels good physically, and thus mentally, as well. In my day to day work existence I spend most of my time working to resolve complex situations. I really don't want to get into the details too much because I'm really trying to keep that part of my life out of the frontal cortex of my brain for the time being. Suffice it to say that the work that I do is mentally exhausting. So, it feels rejuvinative to spend four or five days painting walls, putting together furniture, putting labels in books, organizing spaces, etc.  Yesterday for example I spent an hour laminating and then cutting out Membership cards. It was so relaxing, the rhythm of it all feeling almost meditative. I should pause here to say that I know the vast majority of the workers of the world spend their lives doing jobs like this all day every day and that they are most likely not feeling meditative about it at all as they are doing the work to survive. And if I spent 60 hours a week laminating name tags I don't think I would feel so 'meditative". That said, for a few hours for a few days it all feels good.

In any event ... The place is just about ready. Tomorrow will be spent organizing and cleaning and then the grand opening is at 6:00. We've invited a lot of people, mostly from the neighborhood and then some politicos and media folk as well. I'm really curious to see who shows. I'll keep you posted. (Ha! Ha! get it? I'm writing blog posts so "I'll keep you posted." I do make myself - if no one else - laugh sometimes.)

Here's some pictures of our adventures over the last couple of days:
















No comments:

Post a Comment