Tranductor

Aug 10, 2015

Campamento 3.0 día 6

This first day of week two was certainly full of excitement. The theme of the day was water (as we moved from personal health to the health of the community) and Kelly led the campers through an experiment testing water samples from the river, the faucet, and from a bottle for E. coli and other bacteria. The kids really got into it -- probably the first time they'd done any type of experiment at all I would imagine.

But the real experiment came from the Easter egg hunt. I'm not exactly sure what this activity has to do with our camp ( I overheard tanya telling her campers that we brought the teen leaders with us to learn about Dominican culture and this was a chance for them to learn something about US culture - even though almost all of the teen leaders are Jewish) but we've done this activity both times that we've run the camp and the kids love it. In any event, from my room I saw Tanya's group heading out first to look for the plastic eggs that the teen leaders had filled with chocolate and hidden I earlier in the day. A few minutes later one of her teen leaders called me into Tanya's room. I followed her in and she told me that an ant was stuck in the eye of one of her campers. What?! Maybe I didn't here her right. But then I looked down at the desk at which the girl was sitting and it was swarming with ants attacking a melted piece of chocolate. Ay at ay.. Qué revolú! Have you ever tried to get an ant out of a child's eye? I certainly haven't and really had no idea how to go about it. So, I took stock of the situation and decided that my best course of action was to focus my attention on the ants that were now spreading to other desks and other pieces of melted chocolate and to call my wife in to provide medical assistance for the girl ( she did want to be a nurse once upon a time) Fifteen minutes later tanya was successful at removing the offending ant and the girl was fine.

But then we checked all of the eggs as the students returned with them and most of them were filled with ants and melted chocolate. I guess an Easter egg hunt in the middle of summer in a tropical climate was not such a good idea after all. Ah well. We called all the kids in and gave them other chocolates that we had saved for just such circumstances and they were happy. Another fun and exciting day at Campamento las margaritas.

The water testing experiment:



Charlie's drawing lesson:

Making bird houses in el taller de arte:






No comments:

Post a Comment